Saturday, March 11, 2006

It's Raining, It's Pouring, the Old Man is Snoring...


143 days of dry-as-bone weather has been obliterated, starting VERY early this morning. I woke up at 4:30 this morning hearing this steady CLANK CLANK CLANK and thinking 'what in the ... is that?' It was the unfamiliar sound of rain coming off the roof and falling onto the fan on the A/C unit outside. It's been forever since I've heard that sound. I got up and tottered downstairs, and sat on the back porch for awhile before going back to bed, not minding the chill; I just breathed in the wonderful smell of desert rain.

This came off of a local station's weather forecast: "Expect wet weather this weekend, as showers and storms move into the valley. Rain could be heavy at times, and winds will continue to be strong out of the Southwest 15-30 mph. Some valley locations could get .25"-.75" of rain. In the higher elevations, snow level will drop down to around 3000'. Even though this storm could put a damper on your weekend plans, the rain is really needed. So, enjoy the rain!" Believe me, we ALL will!

143 days is a long time without rain. At least Ma Nature didn't leave us with half measures... no, there is supposed to be steady rain all weekend and snow up north, anywhere from 11-26 inches depending on elevation.

I can hear the teens across the street splashing around in the rain. I'm drinking my Trader Joe's coffee with a healthy dollop of heavy cream, hearing cars drive by on the wet street. The cat is safely curled on the guest bed and I can just hear all the plants outside say thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank yoooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!

*does a little dance*

I LOVE RAIN.

Everyone's walking around with a smile on their face, happily employing sweaters and other *winter* items that have been shelved. It has been raining allllll day. Better yet, from the news I learned that the high country is getting plenty of snow too. That's more important than us getting rain here in the Valley--no snow up there, no water down here.

People were getting cranky without the rain, myself included. People were starting to whine and cry--you would think it was a sign of the apocalypse. There have been times in the past several weeks where I wanted to shake someone and say, "THIS IS THE DESERT, STUPID!" Gadzooks!!!!

Thank you God for the rain. I LOVE RAIN!

More please!!

No comments: