Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Blessings from Wonderful, if Unexpected, Places


As I stated in the last post, we're having our Parish Mission this week, with our hosts being the visiting priests from the Fathers of Mercy. I haven't had the privilege of hearing Fr Ben Cameron, CPM, speak or preside at Mass, but I have had Father David Wilton, CPM, at Sunday's Mass, yesterday's confession, and at the Mass following as part of the Mission last night.

I *heart* Fr David. Not only do I like his style and inspiring speeches, HE DOES NOT P.C. THE CREED. Any priest who has the temerity to refuse to emasculate the Creed will always win my heart. It's also nice to see that there are priests that are my age... and he stated in his talk last night that they are getting more vocations through the grace of God and Eucharistic Holy Hour.

Not only is it rare to not have an hour and a half Mass where people can sit still, it's also rare to find a "young" priest that has such passion and insight as Fr David has. My mind is still reverbating with his roller coaster talk--high, funny parts, mind-blowing anecdotes, the mournful pleading and relating of pain, back up to laughing. Personal and personable, I hope he comes back to the parish when the Fathers of Mercy return for Eucharistic Weekend in June.

It was his homily on Sunday that drew me to Confession last night. Funny, I had excruciating back pain yesterday (and had been for a few days--I wrote it off to yardwork and/or stress); once I got out of Confession, it became manageable. It didn't entirely go away, but it got much better to the point where I wasn't screaming when I shifted weight or turned suddenly.

Coincidence? I think not.

And his discussions on Confession on Sunday and the Eucharist last night refocused me in terms of my directions. And the awful insult it is to miss Mass really hit me. The Church only *requires* us to go one hour a week, one day a week, with the more the better, but the Sunday Obligation is so simple.

Fr David expounded on how 75% of Catholics believe that the Eucharist is NOT the Real Presence, but a symbol or something equally as inane--isn't that mind-blowing? How can they say they're Catholic if they don't buy into Transubstantiation? Certainly if God can create the world, and make Man out of clay (on top of the miracles He has performed throughout the ages), He can certainly make Himself present in the Eucharist. So sad that people are so afraid of FAITH, and to proclaim it.

~~~~~~~~

One topic of exploration during the SFO Inquiry is the idea of the Penitential Life. Fr David is not a Franciscan, but the one of the missions of the Fathers of Mercy is to make Catholics aware of the necessity of Penance and Confession, and exhort people, challenge people to go and just do it. And not just in the Season of Lent--it needs to be done.

When we were discussing it in group a few months back, the need to change the idea of penance from a bad and negative connotation to a positive one was grasped. I do remember my First Confession--I was terrified. I had it in my head that it was fearsome and something along the lines of the worst days of the Inquisition, fiery stakes and all.

Since my "return" to the Church about 8 years ago, every time I have gone to my once-yearly confession it's gotten easier. The Cursillo made me get over my--fear? that's not the word I really want, but the closest I can find at the moment--of it, and I'm still not comfortable in it, but I will say this: since last night, I am now "over" that fear and whatever, and as part of my Franciscan journey I intend to go no less than once a month. Once a year is hardly enough.

Here is an excellent site for reflection, the Exhortation of St. Francis to the Brothers and Sisters of Penance (circa 1210-1215). Francis said:

"Oh, how happy and blessed are these men and women when they do these things and persevere in doing them, because the spirit of the Lord will rest upon them and he will make his home and dwelling among them, and they are the sons of the heavenly Father, whose works they do, and they are the spouses, brothers, and mothers of our Lord Jesus Christ."

Who wouldn't want to work for that? To purge their sins before God and become clean in heart--which is not that hard--what a reward in heaven!

I myself would never assume I am going straight to heaven; I have caused Christ much heartache in my little life, and I expect time, at the least, in purgatory. If He sends me to Hell, I will accept His Judgment. I pray every day for his forgiveness.

No comments: