Wednesday, August 31, 2005

I love Orientation Periods. Don't you?

I don't think it matters whether it's a college class, a basket-weaving club, or looking into a secular order. There's always the first few meetings and the vague thought of 'oh my dear Lord, what have I gotten myself into? Who are these people and where on earth did they come from?'

There are always 'Los Sabelotodos' (know-it-alls to you gringos out there): the ones who have been there, done that, and are just so arrogant to boot. I had someone lecture me on the Latin Mass and how bad the Mass is now--then go to Mass at St Thomas if you don't like it! Hellooooo!! Part of the job description is to uphold the teachings of Vatican II. What part of that did they miss?

Then, The Timids: the ones who don't open their mouths at all, scared to death about whatever it is, not participating at all, scared of sounding stupid. I do wish they'd say something--it's terribly boring to have someone just sit there.

And the ones that really get my goat are The Clueless: the ones who think it's a club or something. No, the Secular Franciscans aren't a service organization--look into helping St Vincent de Paul if that is all that you want. No, we do not "worship" or "pray to" St Francis and St Clare.* Catholics do not worship saints, we venerate and try to emulate them. No, "poverty" in this case doesn't mean sell the house and car, farm out the cat and make sure your bank account is at zero; there's a reason why it's called "secular." It is more of a shedding of the material things in this world--understanding that physical items are just that--things--and seeing the world in a different light because it's no longer the focus of your everyday life.

By the second or third session of Orientation, you know who is all over it or who is going to bolt. I see three people already who are thinking, 'um, no...'
~~~

My own problem is that because of my previous exposure to Franciscans--ordained and secular--I'm champing at the bit really hard to move forward. Yes, I know what the Tau is. I understand the significance of the San Damiano cross--I'm wearing one as I type, that's how much I love it and it's symbolism. Yes, I have some inkling of what is expected from a potential candidate--I looked it up before I walked in the door. I'm a person who does research when I get into something.

I'm scared of being a know-it-all but I don't want to sit there and give chapter and verse on Franciscan basics. It's that fine line between being prepared and getting arrogant because I know many of the answers right now, on the basic things, at least.
~~

"Francis, repair my Church," said Christ from the Byzantine-influenced icon to Il Poverello. Kneeling in the ruins of the San Damiano parish building, Francis thought it was about gathering stones and fixing the damage. Only later did Francis realize that Christ didn't mean the literal building: not church with a little 'c', but Church, big 'c.' THE Church. Of course, Christ meant the corruption and disunion and the abuses within the Holy Mother Church, and for Francis to go and proselytize and remind everyone what the Church was really all about.

Sad, isn't it, that Christ is probably looking for a modern Francis to bring the Church back to Her former glory? I wonder if Christ has said to Papa Ratzi "Joseph, repair my Church," and if anyone is up to that task.

And it's also our task--Franciscan or not--to repair His Church--because healing starts from within.

______________________________
* I could NOT believe I heard someone say that in one session. Blew my mind. I thought: You did say you were Roman Catholic... right? Really? And you think that we worship saints? Um, are you sure you're Catholic??

1 comment:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

I AM RIGHT THERE WITH YOU ON THIS ONE!!!!!
I think some members of my fraternity may cause me to pull my hair out and lose what's left of my mind before my term is up (I'm Vice Minister--eek!)

We've got a few working toward senility and while they are very dear souls, they try my patience more than my 5-year-old. And they think we're a SUPPORT GROUP.

Maybe this is why I have the virtue of hospitality to work on this year....